At Regents Park, students begin their KS4 journey in Year 9. They begin GCSE courses and begin to shape the curriculum they wish to study. To avoid a narrowing of the curriculum, students must continue with RE, one of either Geography and History and their MFL choice. This is in addition to the core subjects of English, Maths and Science. They can choose two additional subjects to study in KS4.
In addition all students will study personal, social and health education (PSHE) and core PE within their timetabled week, which are non-examined subjects.
Students who speak a home language other than English can also take a GCSE in that language and may be asked to attend twilight sessions after school to prepare for the examination.
The Options Process is outlined below:
- As part of the Careers Day, Year 8 students experience a taster lesson in a KS4 subject of their choice.
- In January Year 8 students complete an ‘expression of interest’ form. This allows us to see which subjects are popular and shape our formal offer.
- In February, there is a Year 8 KS4 Options Evening for students and parents. This is an important opportunity for students to find out more about the subjects they are interested in. A presentation will explain the process and give general information before students are encouraged to speak to Curriculum Leaders and / or teachers about potential KS4 choices as well as learning more about the core subjects.
- Following on from this all Year 8 students will meet with a key member of staff to discuss their options. SEND students will have additional support from the SEND team who may also liaise with parents to discuss appropriate KS4 provision.
- Parents need to confirm students’ option choice forms to indicate they support their child’s KS4 choices. This will be done using SIMs Parent App.
- Finally, towards the end of the academic year, students will 'Step up to KS4' where they will have a formal taster lesson to check they have chosen the correct KS4 subject.
In Year 10, an alternative to languages may be offered to some students.
The presentation from the 2022 Options Evening as well as the accompanying booklet can be found below: